Monday, June 28, 2010

Congratulations to 1st time grandparents




A couple that we're friends with just became grandparents for the first time on Saturday and I wanted to make a card for them.  It's a girl!  They're so excited!  The DP is from a Debbie Mumm stack and the pinks were Bazzil cardstock.  I used the Sweet One stamp from Stampin' Up and then used their scalloped circle to punch it out.  The 2 mattes behind that are cut with Spellbinders dies.  The pretty "flourished" circle mattes behind those took a little more work but I think they're worth it.  I started by cutting 2 Octogons from Spellbinders dies.  I used the 3 1/2" and 3 1/4" dies.  After those were cut I flipped them over to the side that I wasn't going to display and drew lines from each point to it's opposite point.  You will have 4 lines when your finished.  I then took my Martha Stewart layered arches corner punch and lined it up from a point keeping the line that I drew right in the center of the punch.  Just work your way around the octogon until you reach your starting point.  I think they make the card look very elegant.  This will work with other corner punches and different sized octogons depending on the punch.  Just play around and see what you can come up with.  You can see in the corner of some of my photos that I played around with many different punches and octogons. 



3 comments:

cedro97 said...

hello, I'am from carmen city, of mexico, your work is wonderfull, bye.-

Anonymous said...

Renee, THANK YOU so much for this tutorial! LOVE your cards and layering. This technique is wonderful, can't wait to go use it...lots!

Betsye Rose said...

Thank you for sharing how to do the circle with the punches! I can't wait to try it!