Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Poetry Day


Makena was one of a few kids chosen from her school to recite a poem she wrote at the local college. This is an annual event. Last year Dominick was chosen as well so Makena was glad to follow in his footsteps. She said she wasn't nervous since she's used to dancing in front of 500 people but I'm not entirely convinced. She did a GREAT job reading. The only problem, as you can see from the photo, is that she held her paper in front of her face. I was in charge of photographing the kids and they all came out great... except of course my OWN child. She had a great time. It was basically a day off for the kids involved. We left early in the morning and didn't get back to school until 1:30. Playground is at 2:00 and then snack follows that so there wasn't a whole lot of work done by these kids today. We were supposed to stop for a picnic and play time at a park but it was raining and only about 45 degrees so we left right after lunch. They were disappointed but there's nothing you can do about it. Our science fair was tonight too. (busy day, but what's new!) I'll post those photos tomorrow.
**************************************************************************
I had a request to post her poem... can't believe I didn't do it in the first place!!
**************************************************************************
February Is
February is a lovely white Valentine blanket.
February is tasty pink heart candies.
February is rodents' noisy feet scampering through the flowers.
February is candy marshmallow chocolate hearts.
February is chocolates melting in my hand.
That's what I picture in my mind in February.
Makena Gr. 2

No comments: