Tuesday, July 26, 2011

MMSC114 Pretty Petaloo gift bag and a tip!

This is my second post today. 
Please scroll down for my Party Time Tuesdays post.

Did you know that over at CDAC they have NEW Progressive Challenges Starting!  Vintage ATC Swap OPEN for sign ups and an awesome Mini Paper Bag Album Swap Open for sign ups. 
You still have plenty of time so head on over and check it out today!

 

This this week we must say good bye to one of our long time DT members. Lovely Linda has had some doors open up for her in the crafting world and has had to step down from the MMDT. Linda has been playing the MMDT since the very beginning and has been a huge supporter of our players.We wish her all the best in her new endeavors and will miss her very much!!!
Would you like to be a part of these teams? We always have a look out for some talented crafters. Not only for the Midnight Madness DT, the "priscillastyles" DT but the CDAC Dream Team. So if you are interested in taking a super fun journey with some very talented crafters, we want to hear from you.
Email Priscilla at heatonup@verizon.net with your information!

This weeks sketch...it's "YOUR PICK" Make it fancy, clean and simple, or somewhere in-between. Remember to click on the sneak peek button on the side bar for the following weeks sketch each Friday.
"YOUR CHOICE"
Enter one style or both this week.
Just have fun and come play with us :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our MMSC114 Weekly Bonus Sponsor is..
Stamp and Create and is offering a $25.00 gift certificate.
Stamp and Create is an on-line store carrying many popular brands of stamps, paper, and embellishments including: Wags ‘n Whiskers Rubber Stamps, High Hopes Stamps, Sweet Pea, CC Designs, Kraftin’ Kimmie Stamps, Whiff of Joy, Stampavie, Penny Black, The Greeting Farm, Basic Grey, 7 Gypsies, Shimmerz, Nestabilities (always 20% off!!), charms and more!! Lacey is always adding new items to the store…so check it out at www.stampandcreate.com
Thanks Lacey for your wonderful prize this week!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our July Monthly sponsor is....
Petaloo 
Be sure to check out the DT projects made with Petaloo flowers.
Click HERE to see the monthly prize details!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For my project I decided to do a gift bag.
I cut a circle in the bag with a Spellbinders die and then glued
some clear plastic behind it.  It gives a little "sneak peak" as to
what's in the bag.  For the photo so that you could see the little window
better I used some Kraft Krinkles in the bag.


DYING TIP...
I had a bit of a disaster when I was making the flowers for this bag.
I'll share my story so that none of you will have it happen.  I had originally dyed
some of the Petaloo crocheted flowers a beautiful shade of lavender to match the bag.
I placed them in my dish drainer to dry but they were taking too long....I'm a bit impatient
when it comes to waiting for craft things to dry.  You can pick out a  ton of my photos where
you can still see wet glue behind some crystals or pearls etc.  Anyways...in order to speed up
the drying I decided to move the flowers to my deck in the hot sun.  I went back about 15 min.
later to check on them and my beautiful lavender flowers were bright turquoise!!  I couldn't
use them on my bag now!!  The blue was absolutely beautiful and they'll look great on another
project some day but I had to move to plan B for my bag.  Fortunately I had these lovely
flowers and I was able to paint them with acrylic paints and now I love my bag.  Lesson learned:
Don't dry flowers in the sun! Darn those UV rays!! (by the way I used food coloring to dye them)


Here's the little tag:
and yes, I noticed the two little bits that didn't pop out and
I went back and got them!  See?  I was probably in a hurry
putting the tag together and didn't check them well.

...and the back...


My bag elements:
Petaloo flowers
Spellbinders circle, medallion and border dies
Quickutz border embossing folder
Trims and ribbon


7 comments:

Guro said...

This is gorgeous Renee!!!
Love your decorations on this one, the flowers look so real.
Thanks for sharing your coloring tip too ;-)
Have a great week and thank you for the inspiration :-)
Hugs Guro

KarinsArtScrap said...

what a beautiful bag you have made renee.
lovely papers and decoration.

greetings karin

designsfromwithinbycharlotte said...

Renee, this turned out beautiful and I'm sure the new turquoise flowers will be put to good use eventually! Goes to show that sometimes patience pays off!!! LOL
Your little bag came out great though, love the flowers and the little note card.
Hugs,
Charlotte

marsha said...

Gorgeous gift bag Renee! So sorry you had trouble with your flowers, I will definitely keep that in mind! Clever idea to use the food color!
Hugs,
Marsha

Gunn (MsPlum) said...

It is beautiful Renee! Love the lavender colors.
I use my heatgun to dry stuff like that - occasionally I set things on fire, but once in a while it is successful *LOL*
Can't wait to see the turquiose flowers :)
Hugs
Gunn

Darlene said...

FANTASTIC project Renee and I just LOVE the color of your flowers .. thanks for the tips on DYEING and DRYING these flowers! Never thought of food coloring but will certainly be giving it a try!
So glad you're on the MMSC team ... you're quite the inspiration! Happy Day my friend!

LindaS said...

Love that sneakpeak at your wonderful creations. Another tip: don' t use your heat gun then will the glie melt. LOL.