Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Barb




My mother-in-law turns 70 in a few days and I wanted to make her a beautiful card. This is not what I originally set out to make. I was thinking light blue. Why? I don't know. I had just purchased a new Inkadinkado set: Gem Stone Insects. For some reason I was thinking soft and beautiful when I saw this set. When I sat down to use them I just wasn't in the mood for that sort of card. The design on the overlay showing you what the stamps look like is in black and I thought the detail of the butterfly was so beautiful I decided to go with that. I embossed the BF on patterned yellow paper and then used yellow stickles on it to really make it sparkle. He was beautiful just like that but then I remembered that I had a crystal the exact shape of his body so I added that. Since the embossing looked so nice on the BF I decided to emboss my background paper as well. I used 2 Cornish Heritage Farms backgrounders called 'Pretty Pattern Backgrounder' and 'French Script Backgrounder' . They are stamped with clear pigment ink and then embossed with clear embossing powder which looks shiny black on the black paper. They turned out great. I layered some silk and organdy flowers and secured them with a metal flower brad. I used some Spellbinder's Nestabilities to layer the Happy Birthday phrase and the "golden years" phrase is from a new $1 Inkadinkado set. The Happy Birthday also has an acrylic circle dot layered over it for even more dimension. The "70" is cut from the Sizzix alphabet set "Girls Are Wierd". I carried the butterflies over to the inside as well. I used two other BFlies from the set to decorate the inside and used a vellum phrase that I liked to finish it off. I am very pleased with how it turned out and can't wait for her to see it.

No comments: