Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Caramelized onion & tomato soup

As you probably know I LOVE to cook.  Recently I had 
to cut back a bit on some of my design teams because I just
couldn't seem to get all of my family obligations done as well
as all of my team work.  Well...not without totally wearing myself
out anyways.  I was staying up til 1:00 am the night before cards were due
and stressing over it.  This is something I LOVE and I didn't want
it to start being a burden.  I was SO LUCKY that my team bosses
were so understanding.  I got to remain on both teams that I cut back on.  

So...back to the cooking.  Since this is something 
that I've done all along,  cooking several homemade meals for my 
family each week (whenever school & sports permit a family meal)
I thought I'd share some of our favorite recipes with you.  Since I'm already
doing the cooking I figured it wouldn't be that much more work to 
photograph the food and share the recipes with you.  This will help
fill in the missing card posts that you're used to seeing here.

Today I'm going to share a soup recipe with you.  
It's quite healthy with the exception of the bacon and
you can certainly omit that if you're trying to lower the fat, cholesterol
or if you're a vegetarian.


 Caramelized onion & tomato soup

Ingredients:
4 Cups thinly sliced onions
olive oil for caramelizing the onions
2 TBSP diced garlic
1 TBSP Thyme
1/4 C. Sherry (or sherry cooking wine)
2 Bay leaves
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup fat free 1/2 & 1/2 (you may use cream if your diet permits)
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
5 slices crispy bacon crumbled

 Directions:
Caramelize the onions in the olive oil.
It took me probably 45 minutes to reach the color I wanted.
Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme and sherry.  Simmer 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes & chicken broth and simmer 20 minutes.
add Parmesan cheese and 1/2 & 1/2.  Simmer a few more minutes.
Add bacon crumbles and serve.

No comments: