Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!


Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday. As I think I've mentioned before he's a contractor. That's why I flipped when I saw Stampin' Up's "For Father" set with the toolbox. I made my Dad's Father's Day card out of one of the stamps from that set. Here's the link for that card... For my Dad . I didn't want to use the same stamp again so soon for him so I came across this image that I had stamped at a friends house just a little while back. I love the fact that it's a bee because my dad is the type that epitomizes the term "busy as a bee". He's never home and never sits still. He always has a project going. He also has his own workshop like this little bee does. I used Copic markers to color the majority of the image with the exception of the silver metal on the tools. That was done with a gel marker. And... in case you didn't notice... this is the first time I've ever sewn on a card. I recently purchased the Janome Mini when after 2 hours and 4 blisters I was able to resuscitate the machine my mother-in-law gave me years ago. It had belonged to her so I really wanted to get it running again but it just wasn't in the cards. I figured it would cost as much to get that one serviced as it would be to buy the brand new Janome so with my husband's blessing I went for it. I've only used it twice so far but I love it. Anyways... back to the card. I used a lot of metal on here because I think it's so masculine. The little washers belonged to my late brother-in-law. When he passed I was at their house and asked my sister-in-law if I could have some of his washers from his extensive tool collection. After giving me a very confused look she "okayed" me to take them. I later explained that I planned to use them on some of my cards and scrapbook pages. Now every time I use one I think of Tony. There's also a metal button and a happy birthday tag. The cute tape measure is from Hanna Stamps Tool Time Clear Stamp Set. The black strip under the washers and dad phrase is done with the Cornish Heritage Farms 'Pretty Pattern Backgrounder' . You may recognize it as a scrap from my recent birthday card I made for my Mother-in-law. Hey, waste not, want not. The dad phrase is done with rub on letters and lastly the arrow, "hooray" phrase and the bracket are from some Inkadinkado clear sets. WOW! I think that's my longest babble, I mean post, ever! Hope I didn't bore you! Happy Birthday Dad!!

No comments: