Let me first start off by saying I can't believe how easy this
was to make. It looks so fancy but really is very simple.
I followed the recipe exactly except for omitting the mushrooms
and putting them on the side because my son and one of our
dinner guests don't like mushrooms. The rest of us just ate
This photo is NOT mine. I got it from the blog where
the recipe came from.
Thank you to A Spicy Perspective for a wonderful
recipe! Normally, I try to photograph my own food
but since we had guests I didn't this time.
I served it with roasted sweet potatoes and onions
and Parmesan noodles. Everything was a hit.
I would have done the Brussels sprouts with it
but we had just had those days before. Can't wait to
make this again.
Click HERE for the recipe.
I have provided it below but she has some
wonderful "how to" photos with it. I'm very
visual when it comes to cooking. I want to see
what I'm supposed to be creating before I make it.
- 2 lbs. flank steak
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Tb. olive oil, separated
- 8 oz. wild mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 bunch fresh arugula
- 6 pieces of prosciutto
- 8 thin slices of provolone
- 2 Tb. flour
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Kitchen Twine
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
- Heat a LARGE (12-13 inch) skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tb. olive oil and the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until soft—about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté another 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Lay the flank steak on a work surface and place a piece of plastic wrap over the top. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, POUND the steak into a 9X12 inch rectangle—1/4 inch thick.
- Lay the cheese over the steak, leaving a 2-3 inch area uncovered along one long edge. Next, lay the mushrooms over the cheese, followed by the prosciutto and arugula leaves.
- Starting with the long edge covered with ingredients, carefully roll the flank steak. Tie the steak roll in 4 places with kitchen twine. Mix 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, paprika and flour and rub over the roll.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet heat 2 Tb. of oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place the steak roll in skillet and sear 5-8 minutes turning to brown on all sides.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until cooked through and cheese is melted—30 minutes. Tent with foil and let the meat rest for 10 minutes, then carefully slice in ½ inch pieces.
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4 – 6